Elder Decisions® Elder - Adult Family Mediation Training (Online)
As a service to our members and the general public, the Massachusetts Council on Family Mediation is sharing the following announcement. MCFM is not responsible for the content of this announcement and is not a sponsor of the program or programs described in this announcement.
*** Online Training Announcement from Elder Decisions® ***
Elder / Adult Family Mediation Training
A Program for Mediators Interested in Serving Elders / Adult Families
Tuesday/Thursday afternoons (23 hours) – ONLINE
June 6 - 22, 2023
(June 6, 8, 13, 15, 20 and 22, 2023)
Half Days (12:15 p.m.- 5:00 p.m. Eastern)
This program teaches mediators specialized skills and techniques for working (both in-person and online) with seniors and adult families facing issues such as living arrangements, caregiving, driving, family communication, medical care, Powers of Attorney / Health Care Proxies / Guardianship / Conservatorship, financial planning, estate planning, family real estate, and personal property distribution. Topics include:
The Field of Elder / Adult Family Mediation:
- Presenting Issues
- Common Hurdles
- Strategies for Intake and Convening Family Members
- Using Private Caucuses in Advance of Joint Mediation
- Working with Large, Dispersed Family Groups
- Managing Multiple Stakeholders and Multiple Issues
- Including the "Voice" of the Elder
- Ethical Concerns, including Capacity, Financial Disclosure, Power Imbalances and More
- Considerations Regarding Remote Mediation via Videoconferencing
Challenges of Aging:
- Mental & Physical Effects of Aging
- Maintaining Independence
- Coping with Loss
- Caregiving and Aging Families
- Long Term Care Options for Elders
- Planning for Financial Management
- Medical Decision Making
- Long-Term Care Costs, and Options for Paying for Care
- Asset Protection
- Guardianship and Alternatives
- Mediating via Zoom Videoconferencing
- Small Group Exercises
- Lively, Interactive Presentations
- Guest Experts in Elder Law and Gerontology
- Trainers’ "Fishbowl" Demonstration
- Multi-Party Role Plays Featuring “True-to-Life” Scenarios
- Extensive Training Manual to Support Your Ongoing Practice
Registration Fee: $1200 early rate through May 5; $1500 thereafter.
We welcome and want to support greater diversity in the field, and offer scholarships for Black and BIPOC participants to register at a reduced rate of 50% off the rate at time of registration.
Financial Aid Policy
20% discount available from rate at time of registration (including early rate and BIPOC rate) for Seniors, Students, Current Community Mediation Volunteers, and/or anyone for whom the regular rate would pose a hardship.
Need additional assistance? Very limited work study may be available, for approximately one spot per training, based on projects available at the time; please inquire for details.
* This training is approved under Part 146 by the New York State Unified Court System's Office of ADR Programs for 16 hours of Additional Mediation Training. Please note that:
- Pursuant to Part 146, court-based mediation rosters require both a combination of mediation training and experience mediating;
- Acceptance on court rosters depends on a court’s need for mediators at any given time and may include a court’s need for mediators with specific case-type training or experience and mediation experience;
- Final placement on any court roster is in the discretion of the local Administrative Judge.
** Past trainees have successfully applied for state-specific Continuing Legal Education credits; we are happy to help with these applications (an additional fee may apply). Please inquire for details.
Visit website for more information and to register at http://www.elderdecisions.com/pg19.cfm or